Mark Hawkins practices as a trial lawyer in the areas of commercial litigation, real estate litigation, and all aspects of construction law. Mark is listed in the The Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White, Inc. (2012 – present) for his work in the areas of Commercial Litigation and Real Estate Law. Mark has also been selected to the Texas Super Lawyers® published by Thompson Reuters (2016 – present) in Business Litigation, and listed as a Top Attorney by Austin Monthly Magazine (2019) in the categories of both Arbitration and Mediation, and Civil Law Litigation. Mark is also a certified mediator and a member of the Association of Attorney Mediators.
In addition, after representing product manufacturers and energy companies for years, a large portion of Mark's docket includes representing plaintiffs in catastrophic personal injury cases throughout the State of Texas, including natural gas explosions, fire cases, products liability, and oilfield accidents. Many of these cases have resulted in significant recoveries for his clients.
- Mark has tried dozens of lawsuits before juries, judges, and arbitrators for plaintiffs and defendants. Some of his representative lawsuits include the following:
- Successfully represented a national highway contractor in a joint venture dispute over a multi-billion dollar design-build toll road
- Defended military defense contracting company against claims by subcontractor involving design and installation of microware communication system for U.S. ally, obtaining arbitration award for client denying all of subcontractors claims
- Obtained a gross negligence jury verdict against Union Pacific Railroad for harm sustained by a pedestrian
- Defended a national highway contractor in a lawsuit by a fiber optic telecommunications company alleging damage to infrastructure during construction of a toll road in Harris County, obtaining jury verdict for client on all of plaintiff's claims
- Obtained a jury verdict and damages for a natural gas company against a contractor that damaged gas transmission infrastructure
- Successfully defended real estate developers in trials brought by adjoining landowners, contractors, and lenders (including matters involving the release of personal guaranties)
- Successfully tried numerous commercial tenant disputes (for both tenants and landlords), including billboard, office, and retail lease disputes
- Defended highway contractors, excavators, concrete companies, and both regional and national home building companies in numerous lawsuits and arbitration proceedings, including construction defect claims, earnest money disputes, contractor payment disputes, mechanic's lien claims, and breach of contract claims
- Top Attorney, Austin Monthly (2019), Arbitration and Mediation, and Civil Law Litigation.
- Texas Super Lawyers® published by Thompson Reuters (2016–present), Business Litigation
- The Best Lawyers in America® published by Woodward/White, Inc. (2012–present), Commercial Litigation and Real Estate Law
- Leadership Austin, 2004
- Association of Attorney Mediators
- Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow
- Admirals Club of Austin
- Mobile Loaves and Fishes
- Alpha Prison Ministry
- Former Director, Salvage Vanguard Theatre